Saturday, August 1, 2009

2009 San Francisco Marathon


Stats


Finish Time: 4:28:00 (PR by 22 minutes)

Pace, average: 10:14 min/mile

Place Overall: 2537 out of 5091

Men: 1892 out of 3368

M 40-44: 281 out of 480


Split Times and Pacing


Through 7.6 miles: Time 1:18:53; Pace 10:23 min/mi

Through Half: 2:14:00; Pace 10:14 min/mi

Through 20 miles: 3:23:27; Pace 10:11 min/mi


I hate to say it...but this was kind of easy. What a great experience! I loved every mile of this marathon. No pain, no injuries, no black or lost toe nails, only 2 tiny little blisters which have already healed completely, cool temperatures, a great city, fantastic and interesting crowd support, beautiful scenery, an awesome pace group leader, a great people in the pace group, and no soreness after only 2 days.


First things first. The 4:30 pace leader Rajeev Patel was AWESOME. What a great guy! If he had kept running beyond the finish line, I would have followed him. So at mile 24, when me and 2 others (Sarah and Caroline) broke from the group to run hard for the finish line, I felt a little sorry to leave Rajeev and the others. After all, we had just run together for a little better than 4 hours.


So why was this marathon experience so different than my first? Don’t get me wrong, I loved my first. You’ll never have 2 first times. But my first was painful (ITBS) and emotional, it was wet, and humid, and a battle fought through my legs, feet, and mind. Perhaps it was good training. Perhaps it was my attitude. Perhaps it was the fantastic organization of the race, a great group, an awesome pace leader... What I can tell you is that this experience is what will keep me coming back to run marathons again and again.


4:30 AM.


Everything was laid out and ready. At some point during the night, gremlins de-charged my previously fully charged Garmin. No problem - I’ll rely on split times with my Timex and hopefully find the pace leader at the start. I didn’t want to wear the heart rate strap anyway. Trying not to wake Kara, I turned on one of the flex-tube LED reading lights by the hotel bed which formed a perfect round spot-light type pattern. I shined the light on my stuff so I would make sure I got everything. Just as I was beginning to dress, Kara woke to find me pulling up my running shorts in the blue-ish glare of the spot light. I can only imagine that it must have looked like a cheap burlesque show - a private male nude review. After all, we WERE in San Francisco.


I shared a $5 cab ride to the starting line with a mother and daughter who were running the 1/2 marathon, a couple of nice people from LA. By the time I got to the starting line area, the elites and first wave had already gone off. By the time I found my starting wave, I had finished off 20 oz of Cytomax and felt the need to hit the port-a-johns. Not a chance. The lines were so long I couldn’t even see the end. So, I’ll hold it until the first aid station.


Bart Yasso and Dean Karnazes were at the start to send off my wave. Having to use the facilities badly, at this point, I positioned myself near the front so I could be near the fron of the line for the bathrooms at mile 2.5. Just minutes from the start, Lenny Kravitz “Where are we Running” was blasting from the speakers. Several messages, to us (the SF marathon runners) from soldiers in Iraq were played over the speakers and the MC presented the US flag flown during the marathon our soldiers ran recently in Afghanistan. U2’s “Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” began to play and then the count down.


6:30 AM,

5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - we were off. Finally, now only 20 or minutes until that port-a-potty. After the first mile marker, I was running a 9 min mile...wow, I really had to go. Same pace for mile 2. As we ran down the Embarcardero, I could hardly enjoy the smell of warm sour dough bread coming from the Boudin Bakery, the view of Alcatraz over the bay, the smell of chocolate from Ghirardelli Square - all this in the first 2 miles and all I could do was think “where are those damn port-a-johns.” As we ran to the marina through the Maritime historic park, small waves rushed onto the shore. This was lovely but rushing water isn’t something someone needs to hear when needing to do #1. The port-a-potties came into view. At that moment, the fog cleared, the clouds parted, and a ray of golden light marked my path to the first available cubicle.


Relieved, I emerged back into the pack about 100 yards behind the 4:30 pace group. Perfect. Weaving, dodging, and tap dancing through the pack, I caught the pace group as we headed through the marina in route to the Golden Gate Bridge.


The GGB


There were two open lanes for runners. One for going in, the other for coming out - which made for tight spacing. The bridge was completely engulfed in fog. I didn't mind, I'd seen it before many times. But still, running directly under neath the towering cable supports was incredible. Cars occasionally honked there horns in support of the runners and some, stupidly, hung out of their windows to give us a "whoo hoo" or two. We rounded an aid station at vista point - the tourists baffled by the mob and endless stream of runners screwing up their sightseeing view. There, we crossed the 7.6 mile timing pad, sucked down some pineapple Cytomax, a gell or two, and headed onto the south bound lane toward the city. As I ran over the bridge, I ran next to Jeff who was running in surf shorts, a hawaiian flower patterned running shirt, and beach sunglasses. Jeff worked for Merrill Lynch in SF so I got caught up on all the latest financial news. Jeff loved to surf as much as he loved running so we got along well. If you're out there Jeff: Hang ten dude! As we passed the stream of runners going in the other direction, our pacer Rajeev either called out to many people he knew or they called out to him. Clearly, Rajeev is well known in the Bay area of runners.


Finally off of the GGB, we ascended down Lincoln through the Presidio. Although foggy, we could see the Pacific and the expanse of cliff lined beaches: Baker Beach and China Beach. Still, through the haze, the view was spectacular.


Following Lincoln into the Richmond neighborhood, we were occasionally greeted by residents who improvised their own little cheering sections. Some sat on their balconies with their coffee and breakfast giving a cheer or applause between sips and bites. One particularly large and energetic Asian family cheered us on in Chinese while beating small woks with wooden kitchen spoons. For all I know, they were chanting "You crazy scum! Thanks for blocking my drive way!" But it didn't seem that way. Through this neighborhood and into out next sections, Rajeev tells us the real story of the marathon and how it came to be - which isn't about ol' Phidippides. But that's another blog.


We entered the Golden Gate Park just past mile 12. There were two 1/2 marathons going on that day. The first 1/2 started with us marathoners and were getting close to their finish. The Other half marathon started at 8AM inside the GG Park so there were lots and lots of supporters. The Half marathoners finishing gave us a pat on the back, wished us luck, and headed off for their finish line. We cheered them on until we couldn't see them anymore - after running with them for 13 miles, it was like saying goodbye to old friends. The GG Park is truly a beautiful place. Japanese gardens with ornamental bridges arching over still-water ponds, hiking trails, the Conservatory of Flowers, and live Bison grazing in pastures - all along our route. We ran about 7 miles in the park and caught up to some of the second 1/2 marathoners. One of their pace groups cheered for us, and we cheered for them right back. Mutual support for total strangers. This is truly why I love runners and the running community.


On to the Haight. We emerged from the GG Park and headed right down Haight Street. I had been to the Haight - Ashbury community before. But I had never seen the sidewalks empty. There were a few spectators, several of which seemed to be sight-seers as well, along the sidewalks. Without tons of people walking the streets, I noticed the age of the neighborhood and the graffiti much more than before. It's still a great part of town and spent these miles gawking at the shops, graffiti, and wondering what it must have been like 42 years ago that summer. Before I knew it, we had passed mile 20 and was astounded at how good I felt. I mentioned something about never wanting to taste another vanilla flavored GU again at which point the ever generous Rajeev fished out a couple chocolate Accel-gels. I was thankful to have another taste other than pineapple Cytomax or strawberry/vanilla gels. I was also thankful to be getting some protein into my system.


Right about then, Rajeev says "Hey do me a favor and hold this for a minute." It was the 4:30 pace stick/flag. Rajeev darts into a McDonald's and retrieves a handful of sugar packets and sprints back to the group. I love this guy. Although I was initially skeptical, the sugar really works. More on that later. So, it was cool carrying the pace stick. Sarah, one of the girls running with us, held me to our pace and before I knew it, Rajeev was back with us.


Miles 21 - 22, we ran down 16th street - passing Ti Crouz, famous for crepes - into the Mission district. The first hill I remember was along 16th street - a steep down hill which provided for a beautiful view of the city and elevated glimpses of the city's distinguished skyline.


Mile 23 started a boring, but sunny, stretch of industrial buildings and near vacant streets. Until the live rock and blues bands came into ear shot. We passed a number of them, not sure how many, but they were good. One group stuck out: "Lipstick Conspiracy." I'm not sure if they were women dressed like men or men dressed as feminine men...but they rocked the house.


Suddenly at about mile 24 or so, and without warning, Caroline and Sarah (two women that had been running with the group since the start) looked at me and said, "Hey, you wanna speed up and finish strong?" Although starting to get a little tired, I felt good and said sure. So Rajeev tossed me a sugar pack and we took off. As I ate the sugar, I looked back, Rajeev giving us encouragement, Jeff and the others waving...again, it was like saying goodbye to old friends.


At mile 25, I asked about our pace ~9 min/mi. Man, the sugar really works. Caroline (a Boston Marathoner) and Sarah (an Ironman Triathlete) and I kept this pace up to, just before, AT&T Park and the marina behind it. And then, the sugar ran out. We were about a 1/2 mile from the finish even though the Garmins told us we had already run 26.2! I had nothing left - this was as fast as I could go. The sun was beating down on us now, sweat starting to pour out of my pores (at least I was hydrated). Caroline waving to me and Sarah, "Come on, come on! We've got to finish together!" Sarah was gasping, her 5'1" frame putting out everything she had. I started to get a side cramp and then my left IT Band reminded me it was there. I told it to relax and dug down deep.


26.8 miles, the Garmin on Sarah's wrist said. Finally the finish line came into view. I was running as hard as I could. Then I heard Sarah cry out! She had stepped in a divot or pothole in the asphalt and turned her ankle. Caroline caught her from falling and steadied her without missing a stride. I caught Sarah on the other side, steadying her by holding onto her left arm. We ran the last 100 yard that way. Not talking. Just the pride of finishing a well run marathon was enough. And, as Caroline had insisted, we crossed the finish line together.


Thanks girls. And Jeff. And Rajeev! I hope to see you all again one day.



1 comment:

  1. Trey,

    Thank you for your kind words. It was a blast running with you all in the SF marathon.

    I will definitely call on you for help if and when I do Badwater.

    Thanks!

    Rajeev

    ReplyDelete